On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:35:44 -0400, Rick Troth <tro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 03/26/16 14:45, Tom Marchant wrote:
>> First of all, it is GNU/Linux.
>> That is, it is the GNU operating system with a Linux kernel.
>> See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
>> It is a distinction that many ignore and many others are tired of hearing,
>
>Including moi. Stop it. It's religious.
>
>Stallman's Free Software Foundation is a pillar in the FLOSS world. But
>if the freedom they have fought for means anything, then other groups
>also should get credit. So the real name of the system would be
>Linux/GNU/*BSD/SourceForce/github/IBM/HPE/Oracle/onandonandonandon.
>
>Stallman's insistence on snagging credit for Linux runs counter to his
>supposed altruism.

"Supposed altruism?" I don't know that he is altruistic. He has worked hard in
support of software freedom. Indeed, that was the reason he started the GNU
project. It is also the reason he wrote the GNU General Public License (GPL).
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/initial-announcement.html

Richard Stallman does not "Insist on snagging credit for Linux". Indeed, he
explicitly says that Linus Torvalds should get credit for his important
contribution
to the system.
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justgnu

However, Linus did not write an operating system. The GNU project did. Mr.
Stallman does believe that it is important that people understand the reasons
for the development of the GNU operating system.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

You want me to stop telling people that the GNU operating system is an
important
part of what they call "Linux". I will not stop. I happen to agree with RMS
about this.
I have not asked anyone to stop calling it "Linux", but I do point out that
there is
much more to it than the kernel, Linux.
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#divide

There is another popular operating system that uses Linux for its kernel.
Android
is very different from the GNU operating system,but they use the same kernel.
That kernel is the part of the GNU.Linux system that is properly called Linux.
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#linuxsyswithoutgnu

--
Tom Marchant