On 16Mar28:2239-0500, Tom Marchant wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:35:44 -0400, Rick Troth <tro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On 03/26/16 14:45, Tom Marchant wrote:
> >> First of all, it is GNU/Linux.
> >> That is, it is the GNU operating system with a Linux kernel.
> >> See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
> >> It is a distinction that many ignore and many others are tired of hearing,
> >
> >Including moi. Stop it. It's religious.
> >
> >Stallman's Free Software Foundation is a pillar in the FLOSS world. But
> >if the freedom they have fought for means anything, then other groups
> >also should get credit. So the real name of the system would be
> >Linux/GNU/*BSD/SourceForce/github/IBM/HPE/Oracle/onandonandonandon.
> >
> >Stallman's insistence on snagging credit for Linux runs counter to his
> >supposed altruism.
>
> "Supposed altruism?" I don't know that he is altruistic. He has worked hard
> in
> support of software freedom. Indeed, that was the reason he started the GNU
> project. It is also the reason he wrote the GNU General Public License (GPL).
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/initial-announcement.html
>
> Richard Stallman does not "Insist on snagging credit for Linux". Indeed, he
> explicitly says that Linus Torvalds should get credit for his important
> contribution
> to the system.
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justgnu
>
> However, Linus did not write an operating system. The GNU project did. Mr.
> Stallman does believe that it is important that people understand the reasons
> for the development of the GNU operating system.
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
>
> You want me to stop telling people that the GNU operating system is an
> important
> part of what they call "Linux". I will not stop. I happen to agree with RMS
> about this.
> I have not asked anyone to stop calling it "Linux", but I do point out that
> there is
> much more to it than the kernel, Linux.
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#divide
>
> There is another popular operating system that uses Linux for its kernel.
> Android
> is very different from the GNU operating system,but they use the same kernel.
> That kernel is the part of the GNU.Linux system that is properly called
> Linux.
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#linuxsyswithoutgnu

I agree with Tom on this, Rick.  Long ago I observed that Linux'; i.e., the
kernel's
portability is in fact gcc's portability, and in these days of llvm it's still
very true.
I do not begrudge RMS his position in most contexts "Linux" should be
"GNU/Linux"--his
efforts are in many ways much more significant than Linus' to all we hold dear
and our
respect for that is well-earned.
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________