I'm working on setting up a CTC-only Basic Sysplex (not Parallel,
no-CF's).  From what I read, basic plexes don't scale well, as ENQs have to
go around to each system, which may be why your IBM guy advised against it.

Ken
This is from z/OS 1.13 DFSMS Using data Sets SC26-7410-11
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_1.13.0/com.ibm.zos.r13.idad400/d4322.htm%23d4322
Choosing Volumes for PDSEs in a Sysplex

PDSEs are designed to be shared within a sysplex. When choosing volumes for
PDSEs in a sysplex, be sure to follow these rules:

   - The volume serials for volumes that contain PDSEs must be unique
   within a sysplex.
   - A volume that contains PDSEs must not be open from more than one GRS
   complex at a time.
   - If PDSE extended sharing is active, a volume that contains a PDSE
   cannot be accessed from more than one sysplex at a time.

In this context, a sysplex is all systems that can connect in a single XCF
group, and a GRS complex is all the systems in a GRS configuration. A
sysplex never spans more than one GRS complex. Note: for extended sharing,
a PDSE can only be shared by the members of a GRS complex that are also
members of the same sysplex. For example: in a six-system GRS complex, with
four of the systems within the sysplex and two which are not, PDSEs can
have extended sharing between the four members of the sysplex, but not the
other two, non-sysplex systems. See z/OS MVS Planning: Global Resource
Serialization
<https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_1.13.0/com.ibm.zos.r13.ieag400/iea2g4a1.htm?lang=en-us>
for