On Wed, 4 May 2016 13:16:38 -0500, John McKown wrote:

>On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 1:01 PM, J R wrote:
>> In light of this confusion, one wonders why the developer opted to format
>> the message in hexadecimal.
>
>​At the very least, he should have either done a x'????' like HLASM or a
>0x???? like C.​

Some Rexx component takes system messages which are documented
in hex in M&C and displays them as decimal.  Some were truncated on
the left to 8 decimal digits.  I went to SR.  IBM (FSVO) fixed the problem
by making the field variable width, extending to 10 digits as needed.
Still not very useful for decoding the code where M&C explains the
structure in bytes.

-- gil