Morning all,

We have noticed an intermittent OMVS shutdown problem, possibly since going to
z/OS 2.1, though I'm not willing to bet on that.  The general scenario is that
almost all of the system is down, and we're into stopping OMVS. Systems
automation then issues a stop to OMVS:

F OMVS,SHUTDOWN
BPXI055I OMVS SHUTDOWN REQUEST ACCEPTED

and in the particular syslog I'm looking at we get a *BPXI064E OMVS SHUTDOWN
REQUEST DELAYED briefly, before:

D OMVS
BPXO042I 10.57.34 DISPLAY OMVS 724
OMVS     0010 SHUTTING DOWN   0

Which proceeds in an orderly fashion:

D OMVS
BPXO042I 10.58.04 DISPLAY OMVS 741
OMVS     0010 SHUTTING DOWN   1

D OMVS
BPXO042I 10.58.14 DISPLAY OMVS 755
OMVS     0010 SHUTTING DOWN  13

and then:

*BPXI056E OMVS SHUTDOWN REQUEST HAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

(why is that an 'E' level message?)

and finally:

D OMVS
BPXO042I 10.58.34 DISPLAY OMVS 786
OMVS     0010 SHUTDOWN

However, intermittently, we don't get past the 'SHUTTING DOWN' message, and the
"progress counter" (out of what?) stops incrementing, so each display of OMVS
shows:

OMVS     0010 SHUTTING DOWN  13

Ad infinitum (well, maybe not infinite, but we have left it for at least 20
minutes).

Obviously the thing to do here is take a dump and open a PMR, but we haven't
yet seen the issue since we decided to do that. I just wondered whether anyone
had seen this before. OMVS is particularly unhelpful once it's accepted the
shutdown request - all it tells you from then on is just 'OMVS IS SHUTTING
DOWN' no matter what you ask it.

There's probably a raft of information I've left out that would be needed to
begin to answer this!

Thanks,

--
Andy Styles
z/Series Systems Programmer

Lloyds Banking Group plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ.
Registered in Scotland no. SC95000. Telephone: 0131 225 4555. Lloyds Bank plc.
Registered Office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England
and Wales no. 2065. Telephone 0207626 1500. Bank of Scotland plc. Registered
Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC327000.
Telephone: 03457 801 801. Cheltenham & Gloucester plc. Registered Office:
Barnett Way, Gloucester GL4 3RL. Registered in England and Wales 2299428.
Telephone: 0345 603 1637

Lloyds Bank plc, Bank of Scotland plc are authorised by the Prudential
Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and
Prudential Regulation Authority.

Cheltenham & Gloucester plc is authorised and regulated by the Financial
Conduct Authority.

Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Cheltenham & Gloucester Savings
is a division of Lloyds Bank plc.

HBOS plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in
Scotland no. SC218813.

This e-mail (including any attachments) is private and confidential and may
contain privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender and delete it (including any attachments) immediately. You
must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it or any
attachments. Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded.