On 5/6/2016 8:47 AM, Styles, Andy , SD EP zPlatform wrote:
On Fri 06/05/2016 at 13:14, Tom Conley wrote:

*BPXI056E OMVS SHUTDOWN REQUEST HAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

(why is that an 'E' level message?)

"E" here is not "ERROR", it's "Eventual Action", which is the "F OMVS,RESTART"
command.

Ah! Of course - I'd forgotten IBM use the same suffix to mean different things. I do find
it odd, though, that this is considered that way - there's plenty of other address spaces
that you might consider "eventual action" - RACF (or any other ESM) for
example..

Thanks,

Once upon a time (apparently pre-z/OS V1R3) OMVS was not restartable, so they probably added the message as an E message to let the operator know that it was restartable.

Regards,
Tom Conley