On Wed, 11 May 2016 09:27:25 +1000, Andrew Rowley
<and...@blackhillsoftware.com> wrote:

>On 11/05/2016 1:15, Mark Zelden wrote:
>> Since multiple levels of the
>> OS are being maintained I "APPLY REDO" pointing to a copy of the SMP/E
>> controlled loadlib using the proper level of the JES2 macro library.   It
>> makes little
>> sense (at least to me) to run one apply, change the dddef, then run another
>> apply for
>> each JES2 level.
>It still feels like laying a trap for the next person who comes along
>who is unaware of the process.
>
>What I would be inclined to do is clone the SMP/E zones and keep a
>separate set of datasets for each JES2 level. Than it is much clearer
>what is going on and exactly what is installed in each dataset. DASD is
>cheaper than time sent scratching my head (or an outage caused by an
>incorrect JES2 macro level).
>
>I have always worked on the principle that the SMP/E zones should
>reflect exactly what is installed in the target and distribution
>libraries. If you assemble with a different SYSLIB it breaks that principle.
>
>But, I admit, it is a long time since I have maintained a real system
>with SMP/E.
>
>Andrew Rowley

I would not be inclined to do so at all.   Overkill IMO.    Why would I want
to have separate zones and all the target libe and have to install all my
maintenance
to the software twice just to assemble JES2 exits against different levels of
JES2
macro libraries.  My process is extremely simple and is error free.  The SMP/E
zones
for the product know nothing about the macros being included from JES2 anyway
(the
JES2 code is in a completely different set of SMP/E zones).

Step 1:   Copy SMP/E maintained product.loadlib to product.loadlib.Z1020100
(sample name)
Step 2:   APPLY REDO usermod with override of SYSLIB and DD for product.loadlib

My APF and LNKLST entries includes "product.loadlib.&SYSOSLVL."   This makes OS
migration / fall back less complicated.

From the product's standpoint everything in SMP/E is 100% correct.  Any
maintenance
to the product itself is done to the base library. If I apply product
maintenance, I do have
to run the JES2 exit "APPLY REDO" job once for each OS level being maintained
as a
post apply step.  Once  all systems are at the same OS level, it's one job i
need to run
instead of two.  At that point I could change the dddef to point to
"product.loadlib.&SYSOSLVL."
and change / verify the JES2 macro DDDEF points to the library is also correct
(volser
pointing to my OS maintenance sysres), but I don't.

Most of the products have non-smp/e options for doing this (asm/lnk outside of
SMP/E),
so SMP/E is almost "besides the point" for these exits / stubs that are JES2
maintenance
dependent.   I know shops that do these sort of assemblies / links as part of
their cloning
process every time they clone so they don't even need usermods on the OS side
to determine
if a macro has been updated.   Some of the products I have worked with have
this sort of
dependency and never account for it at all in their installation / maintenance
procedures.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks.  I've been using this method for
many
years, just with my own symbol for the OS level (&SYSOSLVL hasn't been around
long).

Cheers,

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified