From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Greg Dyck
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:42 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Dynamic CPU ADD to a z/OS lpar

On 5/12/2016 10:17 AM, Mark Zelden wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2016 07:30:03 -0400, Richards, Robert B.
> <robert.richa...@opm.gov> wrote:
>
>> I do have a follow-up question.... Is anyone aware of a downside to over
>> specifying reserved CPs?
>
> LCCA/PCCA storage.   But the default CBLOC has been VIRTUAL31 since z/OS
> 1.12.  Even
> if you are still overriding it to below the line it shouldn't be a
> problem unless you are reserving a large number (FSVO large) and have 24-bit
> issues already in your common / pvt storage.

Not true.  LCCA/PCCA storage is only allocated for a CP when a CP is logically
online.

The maximum number of CPs is dependent on the value of CVTMAXMP that is set
when z/OS IPL's.  This value effects the size of many other control blocks,
including, but not limited to, the LCCAVT and the PCCAVT.  Which is why
CVTMAXMP can not be increased dynamically.  While over specifying reserved CPs
does have an impact on storage usage, it is a *minor* impact until the CPs are
actually brought online to z/OS.  So don't worry about over specifying the
value.
Greg