From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Ed Jaffe
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 7:49 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: Dynamic CPU ADD to a z/OS lpar

On 5/13/2016 4:07 AM, Richards, Robert B. wrote:
> ... would it be okay to specify a reserve value to all partition profiles
> that equals the highest number of CPs that my CBU records allow?
>
> This would allow for total flexibility of CP assignment to any or all lpars.
> In my case, it would also apply to a second set of backup partitions on an
> opposing CPC for data center failover capability.

That's precisely the behavior you get when you specify 'DYNCPADD ENABLE'
rather than 'DYNCPADD nnnn' in LOADxx:

www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.ieae200/stpldx.htm

<IBM Documentation>
When you specify ENABLE, z/OS prepares to dynamically add the smaller of the
following:
o Highest CPU/core ID the hardware supports o Highest CPU/core ID the z/OS
release supports.
</IBM Documentation>

This is followed by, "IBM® recommends specifying nnnn to avoid allocating
CPU/core-related storage for CPUs/cores that will never be dynamically added
for the life of the IPL."

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc