edgould1...@comcast.net (Edward Gould) writes:
> It addressing had MMBBCCHHR(R?) so I guess you could address it
> directly. Anyone remember how to do that? (progr5amming for a 2321 is
> a lost art (where is Seymour?).

the "BB" was to select the BIN that the magnetic strips were located
in.
https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_2321.html
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_2321_Data_Cell

Generically, at the OS level, IBM defined the six bytes as BBCCHH, for
Bin, Bin, Cylinder, Cylinder, Head and Head respectively.

... snip ...

referenced from:
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/os/R21.7_Apr73/GC28-6628-9_OS_System_Ctl_Blks_R21.7_Apr73.pdf

the bins (cells) rotated under the r/w heads.
https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_PH2321B.html
http://www.computer-history.info/Page4.dir/pages/Photostore.dir/images/Picture.1.jpg

as undergraduate, univ. hired me as fulltime support for the production
ibm systems. the univ. library got an ONR grant to do online catalog
... and used part of the money to get a 2321 datacell. The project was
also selected to be one of the original CICS product betatest sites and
I got tasked with debugging/supporting CICS (one of the "bugs" was that
CICS original implementation at customer site used specific set of BDAM
options which was hardcoded in the source ... and the library had chosen
a different set of BDAM options ... it took some dump analysis to
discover the issue since it wasn't documented).