On 19 May 2016 at 01:44, Martin Packer <martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:
> It's sort of come back to me:
>
> A small track size limits the virtual storage window (probably usually
> below the line in 1989 when I looked at this). Or it might've been
> cylinder. But I think it was track.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else remembers something like this.

I'm not sure I get the "virtual storage window" idea. VIO emulates an
entire disk drive in virtual storage. So where is there a window? The
whole disk has to be in virtual storage at once. Well, I suppose there
could be logic to not allocate Virtual until used, but that would
surely better be left to VSM's and RSM's expertise at managaing their
respective kinds of storage.

Now maybe VIO was changed much later (surely there wasn't expanded
storage in 1989...?) to use or perhaps favour expanded storage, in
which case a window model could make some sense. But only if VIO was
directly dealing with expanded storage rather than just requesting
that RSM use it to back virtual storage used to hold the VIO disk
data.

Tony H.