Sorry, missed this. I recently sat on a bacon-slicer, so I'm getting a little
behind with everything...

I suspect, but don't know, that the only recent updates to the "manual" have
been to add the word PDSE.

SYSUT1 members containing data which looks like the data "label" that is
generated are unproblematic for IEBPTPCH. It's just data.

Then processing the output is a different potential issue. You may have noted
that 73-80 are blank, which can aid in identification of those generated
against those members which have "line numbers", but not those which are
already blank.

However, since I use it for COBOL programs and for JCL (the first being no
possible problem, the second only a problem if someone has "data" which happens
to match the format, possible, but not happened yet) I've not encountered a
problem.

To get stuff then into a PDS, you basically changed the MEMBER card to an
IEBUPDTE command. I've only ever done it with "add" and only ever to a separate
PDS, either an "empty" PDS or one guaranteed not to have  conflict of members,
but it would be possible to try to get more exciting with it and use some of
the other IEBUPDTE options. Having seen "damaged" PDSs and members with
unintended updates, I just like to be very careful and systematic. Call me the
Tortoise of screwi... updating PDSs. Tortoises also do backups. And use IEBCOPY
to return, updated, data from whence it came.

I have found it extremely useful for program sources and JCL.

There is something about * and ** being used as markers, but I've never seen
them and never bothered/needed to check why not. Maybe it's on the print output
(which I don't use)?

I don't know if "library services" existed when I started using this, but if
they did, I didn't know about them, and just jumped with the first thing I
found that did what I needed. Perhaps I should "modernise" the approach, but
I've just not found a need. Yet.