On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 16:07:05 -0500, Kirk Wolf wrote:

>When using two Unix threads in the same z/OS Unix process, operations to
>sdout/stderr are serialized.
>
>Are you certain that these are two threads in the same process rather than
>threads in different processes (which would be at least separate LE
>enclaves, and perhaps different address spaces) ?

This may also depend on settings such as:
if ( 1 )  { /* Try also with _IONBUF, _IOLBF, IOFBF  */
    if ( setvbuf( stdout, NULL, _IOLBF, 4096 ) ) perror( "stdout" );

I know that _IOLBF was broken in Enhanced ASCII mode a while back.
I reported it and IBM apparently fixed it.

(Is AST still available on an IBM Support site?)

-- gil