On 07/02/2016 08:25 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 17:33:46 -0700, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
>
>> mike.lamart...@mcleansoft.com (Mike La Martina) writes:
>>> After reading the story of Compare and Swap for, lo, all these many years, I
>>> am sorry but I must ask.
>>>
>>> Charlie who?
>> aka Charlie's initials are CAS ... part of the effort was to choose
>> mnemonic (compare-and-swap) that were Charlie's initials
>> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#smp
>>
>> IBM funds MIT project athena for $25M and then DEC funds another $25M,
>> both IBM and DEC get an associate director of Project Athena.  Charlie
>> leaves the science center
>> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech
>> and becomes the IBM associate director of Project athena (pg 10):
>> http://simson.net/ref/athena/Q_and_A_Draft_October31_1986.pdf
>>    <SNIP!>
>>
> Errrr... https://xkcd.com/1640/
>
> -- gil

The plethora of links at the referenced URLs never even gave a direct
answer to the question "Charlie Who".

One of the paragraphs at the many sub-links at the given URLs refers to
him as "Charlie S.", another as "Charlie Salisbury", so apparently it
was a Charlie A. Salisbury who worked for IBM somewhere in the realm of
hardware design.  I found some non-garlic.com links suggesting there
is/was at some point a Charlie Salisbury at IBM as an Engineering
Manager or a Service Delivery Manager, but no indication whether this
was a reference to the same CAS Charlie.  IBM could easily have had
multiple employees over the years with the same first-last name.

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org