On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 20:36:38 +0200, Michael Knigge wrote:

>Yes, DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE)
>     [much snippage]

I've noticed, mostly on non-z/OS systems:

o (documented) For "cat -u", the "-u" is always in effect; provided for
  compatibility but otherwise ignored.

o (not well documented) stderr tends to be written unbuffered; stdout buffered.

o However, if stdout is written to a TTY, it's also unbuffered.

o However, if stdout is written to a pipe it's buffered again.  But sometimes
  the pipe is to a simple filter whose output to TTY I'd like to see promptly,
  not buffered.  I'd prefer that the decision were conditioned on special file
  vs. regular file, rather than TTY vs. non-TTY.

In my own code, I can well control these behaviors with setvbuf() and/or
fflush().

>Am 01.07.2016 um 14:14 schrieb Kurt Quackenbush:
>>>     [snip!]

Speaking of SMP/E ...

I impatiently wish that I could get SMPOUT and SMPRPT buffered less.  But
I have such a Rube Goldberg of pipes, filters, and SYSOUTs that I can form
no rationale for an SR or an RFE.

-- gil