I'm in the other camp with a smartphone but no tablet, and I hate trying to
zoom and pan my way around what is basically an image on my small screen. I'm
probably in the minority these days without a tablet, but there's no reason to
not plan for small smartphone screens anyway.

Just out of curiosity, if ePubs of z/OS books provided all the same
functionalities as PDFs (same technical content, same methods for
obtaining/saving, etc.), plus had added benefits such as visual scaling and
accessibility, would you still be so adamant about keeping PDFs?