On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 3:13 AM, Peter Hunkeler <p...@gmx.ch> wrote:

> >Just out of curiosity, if ePubs of z/OS books provided all the same
> functionalities as PDFs (same technical content, same methods for
> obtaining/saving, etc.), plus had added benefits such as visual scaling and
> accessibility, would you still be so adamant about keeping PDFs?
>
> Basically I don't care what format is used, what I *do care* is that I
> want one format for which there is a reader on just about any platform. I
> do not want to keep the same book in different formats for different
> platforms. As a matter of fact, there are PDF readers available on all
> platforms (at least I now about Linux, iOS, OSX, Windows, Android).

I still maintain that my preference is for a textual "source" format such
as LaTeX being the official format. With IBM rendering that into PDF, mobi,
epub, and HTML5 as part of its distribution process. I like PDF. I really
do. But the original design objective for PDF, as mentioned previously, is
"print fidelity". That is, it __looks__ the same. In my world, content (not
appearance) is king. LaTeX is basically a textual "mark up" language, like
DCF (SGML). So I can store it on z/OS and actually read it (and
cut'n'paste) in an ISPF session. Am I being too "reactionary" in wanting to
have my documentation on the same system as it is documenting? I.e. z/OS
documentation on z/OS needing only access to z/OS without any other
"specialized" software on a "desktop"? I also like having said
documentation in a z/OS UNIX file because: (1) the file names can be more
descriptive due to being longer; (2) I'm used to searching for text using
"egrep" and regular expressions. Seems like a person will either "love"
(me) regexps or "passionately hate" them.

--
"Pessimism is a admirable quality in an engineer. Pessimistic people check
their work three times, because they're sure that something won't be right.

>From "Star Nomad" by Lindsay Buroker:

Maranatha! <><
John McKown