Dave Gibney wrote:
>Well, yes, I hardcap my 28 MSU capable z9 and 16 MSU to save
>software costs.

Out of curiosity, why a *hard*cap if that's the motivation? Softcaps also
do that. (So do lots of other things, such as upgrading to a z13s machine,
upgrading to the latest release of DB2, using the latest Enterprise COBOL
compiler, segregating products to LPARs when appropriate, licensing
sub-capacity instead of full-capacity tools, consolidating some software
currently not running on your mainframe onto a newer mainframe, and firing
half your end users, to pick some examples.) The z9 -- at appropriate
driver levels, and with z/OS 1.8 or higher -- introduced LPAR Group
Capacity settings, so you can even set softcaps on groups of LPARs.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com