zIIPs were available on z9 servers.

>From IBM announcements:
The IBM z Systems Integrated Information Processor (zIIP) is available on the
IBM z13 processor, IBM zEnterprise (zEnterpriseā„¢), System z10, and System z9
servers. It is designed to help free-up general computing capacity and lower
overall total cost of computing for select data and transaction processing
workloads for business intelligence (BI), ERP and CRM, and select network
encryption workloads on the mainframe.

There are other conversations one could have about migrations.  In our history,
going from version to version
of the OS has had hurdles.  Think about MVS/XA to MVS/ESA to OS/390.  But I
would say those hurdles are
minimal to non-existent today.  Going from a release to a release to z/OS could
be compared to a maintenance
upgrade.  1.13 to 2.2 is not earth shattering.  Now the discussion of
exploiting the new features in new releases
may have some effort needed to implement. See Marna Walle's SHARE sessions on
Migration.  They are the defacto
word on migration (IMHO), and will point to PARMLIB and Exit reviews.

The other conversation about hardware upgrades could be discussed from a
monetary point of view.  Certainly new
hardware has costs.  But the benefit of new technology and exploitation might
lead to needing less expensive resources
than what was previously required.  Examples might be old COBOL programs using
new compiler technology on new
processors could lead to reducing batch windows.  SMT for zIIP and IFL
workloads could possibly reduce the number of
specialty engines required.  One could say that the cost of MIPS on newer
hardware is less than the predecessors.  Certainly
the is a z13 or z13S size that would fit most workloads and wallets.  Value to
cost is definitely a good topic for discussion.

zN