There is a big difference between a job allocating a proclib with DISP=OLD and
a user editing a logonproc with ISPF.

The job with DISP=OLD blocks the entire proclib.

ISPF issues an ENQ with DISP=SHR on the proclib and issues its own      ENQ on
the member with DISP=OLD. This way the library is available for other task with
DISP=SHR, but the member (logonproc) is exclusively in use by the ISPF user.

This works this way for decades already.

Well ... Let me put the scenario a bit more clear

a) User A goes and edits the logon procedure in ISPF and doesn't come out of
edit mode .
b) User B submits a Job xxxx with SYS1.PROCLIB containing the logon proc with
DISP=OLD

Then the job xxxx waits for an exclusive access for SYS1.PROCLIB which never
gets satisfied as the proclib is already allocated with DISP=SHR by many things
including JES2 -  This is normal

Now , my understanding is - At this point , if a USER C tries to logon to the
system using the same logon procedure in SYS1.PROCLIB , he shouldn't be able to
as GRS has another Exclusive ENQ request waiting from the job xxxx submitted by
User B . Shouldn't that be honored before allowing others to access the proclib
irrespective of DISP=SHR ?

TIA

Roger Steyn