​>As as aside on this, as I understand it, this only applies to data sets
>allocated via JCL. That is, if you allocate a PROCLIB inside the JES2PARM
>(see below), the DSNs listed do have, and keep, the normal allocation (SHR
>as I recall when JES2 does the DYNALLOC).

This is true but the description of SCHEDxx explicitly mentions that JES2 is
honouring the DSI/NODSI setting when doing its dynalloc.

>Also, if I remember correctly, when you specify NODSI, what actually
>happens is that the data set _is_ enqueued when you do the START command,
>but soon after (during the processing of the PPT entry?) the initiator will
>release the ENQ. That is, if you have an STC defined with NODSI, but
>something else has a DSN in the JCL "tied up" with a DISP=OLD type
>allocation, then the START command will still get A "waiting on data sets"
>message and will not be started until the DSN is available.
​

Again true, but I did not mention it because (in normal situations) JES2's ENQs
would have been released before any other job or TSO user can be started. Of
course, if you ABEND JES2 and restart is, the situation is different. And it
also does not help with $ADD PROC.....

--
Peter Hunkeler