I had a look at manual z/OS V2.1 MVS Assembler Services Guide. It describes the
characters "... that will be displayed on the console..." in a table. This
tbale contains this table shows a lot of special characters as well as all
upper *and* lower case letters. It also say that characters not in the table
will be replaced by blanks weh displayed on the console.
Unfortunately, the manual does not talk about how the message text is treated
when written to the syslog. A quick experiment shows that besides above
characters, als accented characters show unchanged in syslog.

I can't verify what is displayed on the console.

I'm not sure whether the text is inspected by WTO or only later by CONSOLE when
displaying on consoles. The later would make sense to me. You want to avoid
that strange things happen when strange data is displayed on terminals
(consoles). Syslog is actually nothing but a data set consting of records.
Should be able to cope with any byte content.

Tools such as SDSF which display the syslog would then again make sure only
harmless characters are displayed..

Opinions? I'm thinking about sending an RCF asking for clear description of
this.

--Peter Hunkeler