On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 17:20:23 -0400, Peter Relson wrote:

>These days, the "letters" (at least for the MVS element) are typically for
>"++APARs". There is one letter per release. "K" happens to be the letter
>for z/OS 2.2. The supersede that you see in a PTF for the "A" has a
>largely historical basis.
>I don't think that the point about "must SUPersede" is true or follows. We
>very frequently PRE APAR fixes (including PTFs that went PE).

Thanks.  Many years ago I submitted an SR about apparent mistreatment
of a SUP.  Turned out to be user (me) error.  IBM support patiently
(exasperatedly?) explained that I would do better never to SUP but
always PRE and let SMP/E decide what to do.  My chief objection was
that would often require customers' fetching needless PTFs.  With
bandwidth nowadays it hardly matters.  We haven't the skill to
customize orders as neatly as IBM does.

Yet, if I were a systems programmer conditioned to regard an APAR fix
as a stopgap measure I might be uncomfortable seeing an APAR as PRE
for a PTF I needed.

We sometimes deliver a small resolving PTF that PREs a much larger
PTF that went PE with an isolated defect.

Thanks again,
gil