On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Frank Swarbrick <frank.swarbr...@outlook.com
> wrote:

> It's always something, ain't it!
>
> Check it out now.
>
> Frank

​That looked very interesting. I divided up the integrated copybooks into
separate files. I've also placed them in a local git repository (git is a
source code management tool used by a number of FOSS projects, especially
the Linux kernel)​
. One thing, which is quite important to me, is that there is no LICENSE
information, nor any copyright asserted in the source code. This would mean
that the code _IS_ copyright under the normal Berne Convention (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention). Basically, this means
"fair use" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use). This is actually quite
restrictive since, at least theoretically,
​
​
​one could not integrate the code into a larger work. If the larger work is
not "distributed" (which has even more legal meanings), then all is well.
But if, for instance. I were to use it in a utility program, I could not
legally put such a program into the CBTtape.org site because that could
possibly result in legal action. Since the copyright is 50 years from time
of death, your heirs could sue for copyright infringement. Yes, this is
very theoretical, but it is one of my "hot buttons" as a FOSS advocate.
Would you mind putting up a LICENSE document? If you want to say "use as
you will", then you might want to use the "BSD 2 clause" license (basically
- somebody couldn't claim it as their own & must include your copyright of
the code in their distribution, if distributed). There are a lot of FOSS
licenses you could choose from (I recommend against GPL or AGPL since this
is a very small amount of code). The most free license it to release it
into the PUBLIC DOMAIN. I.e. "Here it is. Use it as you will. But don't
bother me about it."

If you put in under a FOSS license, I would love to place it on GitHub. I
have a few things of mine there, https://github.com/JohnArchieMcKown .

--
Klein bottle for rent -- inquire within.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown