From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 9, 2016 7:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Enterprise COBOL API for dynamic capacity tables

I run Git for Windows on my work PC which is very good indeed. It has a
bash shell emulator and a nice GUI. We use SMB on z/OS and map the
network drives on windows, so it's easy to use git from the command line
with the working directory mapping to the zFS file system. It's simple
to push/pull stuff from/to github. We have a private github account and
it's a great platform for development. We use the issue tracking system
to create a backlog of work items. The tooling on github is superb.

I've recently been using a beta version of Windows 10 that has an
integrated Ubuntu Linux VM running so I can use bash natively
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about. It's great, much
[https://sec.ch9.ms/ch9/5db6/8ee786b7-9fc5-45bf-94d0-16ea91765db6/P488_960.jpg]<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about>

Bash on Ubuntu on Windows |
MSDN<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about>
msdn.microsoft.com
Announcements Blogs. Mike Harsh's Blog -- Run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows; Scott
Hanselman's Blog -- Developers Can Run Bash And Usermode Ubuntu Linux ...

better than VirtualBox running VMs or Cygwin. It's a smart move by
Microsoft. All the young kids are working on open source these days and
they all uses macs because of the toolset, bash, homebrew etc. By
integrating a Linux subsystem into Windows they may attract hipster
hackers back the platform. Desktop Linux is ok but it's nowhere near as
polished as iOS or Windows.