From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tim Hare
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 1:53 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: IPLing z/OS 2.1+ with no NIP console

Do these chpids connect to any fiber switches not controlled by you?  I got
called very early one morning due to a bunch of channel errors. At the data
center where I worked, fiber switches were not owned by our group.  The
brainiacs who did own responsibility for the switch decided to take half of one
down for some sort of change / maintenance and didn't bother to tell anyone who
had equipment connected to it.

Needless to say, no mainframer after that wanted to configure tape or DASD
through those switches.