From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Lizette Koehler
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 5:41 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Elementary dataset alias question

Yes, you can use the RELATE function of DEFINE (I may have the fields
backward, if so - sorry)

DEFINE ALIAS (NAME(JOEBLOW.FOOBAR) RELATE(SYS1.FOOBAR))

However, make sure the security is setup for people to access JOEBLOW.FOOBAR
and SYS1.FOOBAR the same way.

You can also look at SYMBOLICRELATE
  DEFINE ALIAS (NAME(SYS1.FOOBAR) -
            SYMBOLICRELATE('JOEBLOW.FOOBAR'))

However, when a data set ALIAS of NON VSAM is created using DEFINE ALIAS
SYMBOLICRELATE and when a DELETE is done against the REAL data set, the data
set alias created using SYMBOLICRELATE is not deleted. This is because the
entry is not associated with any real data sets and it is only a catalog
entry.

Lizette

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN