Oh no! My panel of experts disagrees.

> unless you tell it which user cat to look in, which largely negates my purpose

Tell it when? A "batch JCL" time? Then yes, that largely negates the purpose.
Or at "define the alias" time? Something like DEFINE ALIAS ... CATALOG(MASTER).
That would be okay.

I just want a batch job to be able to say //STEPLIB DD
DISP=SHR,DSN=JOEBLOW.MY.FOO.BAR and have it load programs from SYS1.FOOBAR.
Isn't that what aliases are for? I guess you are saying "aliases are not
system-wide -- they are intra-catalog aliases." Okay, well I guess I am
learning something about catalogs.

What about @Lizette's SYMBOLICRELATE? Will that bridge catalog to catalog?

Charles