The DIAGNOSE gives the same error and no change.  I ran examine (using the
following parms) and " NO ERRORS DETECTED"

INDEXTEST DATATEST
ITEST NODATATEST ERRORLIMIT(1000)
NOITEST DATATEST ERRORLIMIT(1000)

I ran LISTCAT against the CATALOG and it flagged the same VSAM dsn posting the
following error messages:
IEC331I 028-002,LISTCAT ,STEP1   ,IGG0CLEG
According to the problem explanation
Explanation: An I/O error processing the
catalog occurred while processing an access
method services command that requires
modifying the catalog.
Programmer Response: Messages IEC331I,
IEC332I, and IEC333I have been printed to aid
in determining the cause of the error and
where the error occurred. If a hardware error
is not causing the problem, restore or
rebuild the catalog.

I have read up on the process of rebuilding the catalog (REPRO MERGECAT)
however there could be a problem when using LEVEL or ENTRIES parm.  According
to the doc "may cause data sets to no longer be found".  This is not reassuring.

I would prefer to restore the CATALOG which seems safer.  I would like guidance
on this subject.

Thanks.