Edward Gould wrote:

>about 20 years ago I worked at such a place. They did NOT believe in applying
>maintenance.

I have seen all sides of that attitude: No/few/emergency only maintenance
against regular maintenance and staying at the front including IPL the sandbox
nearly weekly/monthly to apply PTFs and to do 'things'.

Then you get 'percussive maintenance' - hitting it with a fist or hammer hoping
to 'fix' it... ;-)

>Along comes the Y2K problem and they were in a bind (to say the least).

... bind ... ?  Good pun, now you're talking about DB2... ;-)

>They decided to order a servpac (new at the time).
>They were a  big user of DB2 (I have no knowledge of it) but they were really
>hurting in order to get up to snuff.

Were they backlevel at that stage or is it a matter to fix the applications
inside DB2, then upgrade?

>They were non going to ORDER COBOL (current as it cost $5 more than the old)
>then LE hit them in the face and they *HAD* to order that. That almost burst
>their gut.

Ouch... And their clients? Were they suffering (unneeded downtime + loss of
money and time) during these drama?

Oh, tell me, LE is a really hard beast to tame, but once you're there, all is
fine ... until next major change...

>I am glad I got out of there.

I really would also be glad. I rather will not ask about their RACF, JES2, HSM,
etc. status at that time... sounds scary...

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht