From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Harminc
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 1:21 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: A true discussion in today's world (at least here)

On 23 November 2016 at 12:33, Jesse 1 Robinson
<jesse1.robin...@sce.com<mailto:jesse1.robin...@sce.com>> wrote:
> When I get flak about the churn of staying current with maintenance, I climb
> my soapbox. Look, I say, I've calculated that on balance it's cheaper to
> drive your car as long as it runs rather than take in for periodic
> maintenance, which is both time consuming and out-of-pocket costly. Most
> likely it will fail somewhere down the road ;-) but getting it fixed then
> will be cheaper and quicker overall.
>
> Well, I say, if you wouldn't think of managing your car that way, why would
> you think it makes sense for a computer system?

The analogy is cute, but I think it fails The problem is that in some
circumstances that's a perfectly reasonable way to manage a car.
Depending on the age, how much you depend on it, whether you ever
drive a significant distance from home, etc. etc. there may be nothing
wrong with deferring or not doing some maintenance.

I live in a city, mostly walk or use transit, and I have very little
need for reliability in a car.