On 13 December 2016 at 10:34, R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl> wrote:

> I dare to disagree.

My turn...

> Although MP3000 was better than MP2000, it was still nothing good.

It was *much* better than the MP2000. Very much faster. It was a 390
G5 CPU. Even 2 x G5 on the top model (H50).

A note on the "development only" idea about this machine. There *were*
development (PWD) models. We had one, at a much reduced price, and we
also had a free "Linux option" that kept the model number unchanged
(P30), but doubled the CPU speed and doubled the memory. IIRC the
non-PWD models were H30 and H50.

> As a demonstration/learning/portable machine it was much to big.

Sure. The old P390s were about the best for that. But you could always
connect remotely.

> As a production or development machine the I/O was really poor.

Well... Don't mix the two kinds of I/O. There was the P390/Integrated
Server style of I/O, all done by OS/2 through the (16-bit!) drivers
taken unchanged from the P390. This was used for OS/2's own purposes
(C drive, etc.) and it was possible to map emulated 390 DASD to OS/2
files on this space, exactly as on P390. But the "real" DASD I/O was
via an STI cable from the G5 CPU to a PCI card on the passive
backplane. The array of SSA drives connected to the same PCI bus, and
that I/O was done with no involvement of OS/2 or even the Intel CPU.

> No real channels except ESCON.

There was a parallel channel, but IIRC not supported for DASD. Tape
and UR only. But did you really have old DASD that you wanted to
connect via Bus & Tag? Maybe a 3380...

> No sysplex capability. A lot of SPOFs.

Yes - SPOF were a problem for a production shop. Though OS/2 could
crash and be rebooted without crashing the G5. But who wants Sysplex
on a machine that size, except a development shop (ISV)?

> z800 and followers were not much more expensive, but it's functionality was
> significantly better.

z800 + DASD + network interface + TN3270/console support of some kind
came out to a lot more money. But of course speed of a 64-bit program
on the MP3000 = 0 MIPS...

Tony H.