From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Harminc
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 10:50 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: LzLabs in ComputerWorld

On 13 December 2016 at 10:34, R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl> wrote:

> I dare to disagree.

My turn...

> Although MP3000 was better than MP2000, it was still nothing good.

It was *much* better than the MP2000. Very much faster. It was a 390
G5 CPU. Even 2 x G5 on the top model (H50).

A note on the "development only" idea about this machine. There *were*
development (PWD) models. We had one, at a much reduced price, and we also had
a free "Linux option" that kept the model number unchanged (P30), but doubled
the CPU speed and doubled the memory. IIRC the non-PWD models were H30 and H50.

> As a demonstration/learning/portable machine it was much to big.

Sure. The old P390s were about the best for that. But you could always connect
remotely.

> As a production or development machine the I/O was really poor.

Well... Don't mix the two kinds of I/O. There was the P390/Integrated Server
style of I/O, all done by OS/2 through the (16-bit!) drivers taken unchanged
from the P390. This was used for OS/2's own purposes (C drive, etc.) and it was
possible to map emulated 390 DASD to OS/2 files on this space, exactly as on
P390. But the "real" DASD I/O was via an STI cable from the G5 CPU to a PCI
card on the passive backplane. The array of SSA drives connected to the same
PCI bus, and that I/O was done with no involvement of OS/2 or even the Intel
CPU.

> No real channels except ESCON.

There was a parallel channel, but IIRC not supported for DASD. Tape and UR
only. But did you really have old DASD that you wanted to connect via Bus &
Tag? Maybe a 3380...

> No sysplex capability. A lot of SPOFs.

Yes - SPOF were a problem for a production shop. Though OS/2 could crash and be
rebooted without crashing the G5. But who wants Sysplex on a machine that size,
except a development shop (ISV)?

> z800 and followers were not much more expensive, but it's functionality was
> significantly better.

z800 + DASD + network interface + TN3270/console support of some kind came out
to a lot more money. But of course speed of a 64-bit program on the MP3000 = 0
MIPS...

Tony H.

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.