On 14 December 2016 at 08:38, Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> No it is not a bug. The "expectation" is incorrect. The updating of the
> PKM is fully documented and is what we wanted it to be.

I'm not saying it's a bug, but it feels immediately wrong for reasons
I'm having trouble articulating. I guess maybe it's this:

PSW key zero is of course not like other PSW keys. If your PSW key is
0, it doesn't mean that you can access only key 0 storage, but all
storage (speaking here, naturally, only of key-controlled protection).
If you MODESET to problem state and (whether at the same time or
previously) you set a non-zero PSW key, it seems reasonable that you
might intend to limit your program's (perhaps one you will call)
ability both to execute privileged instructions, and to SPKA to
storage of other than its PSW key and perhaps key 9. (Yes, of course
this is not a "hard" i.e. system integrity type of limitation, but
more of a "principle of least privilege" thing, as Charles suggests.)
But such a program running with PSW key 0 can *already* access all
storage. Surely prohibiting it from further limiting and then
restoring its own access is not useful, and doesn't align with the
fundamental behaviour of key-controlled protection.

I think the behaviour for PSW key 0 should be different from that for
other keys. Probably MODESET should set the PKM to include 0 and the
user key (plus 9, as appropriate) that was in effect before the
MODESET to KEY=ZERO.

Yeah, I  know, ain't gonna change now...

Tony H.