Hi Elardus,

<your question>  What do you see if you issue $D ACTIVATE during that
disastrous IPL?

I couldn't do a $D ACTIVATE because JES was down.  Once it came up cold, it
shows that I'm in Z22 mode.

<your comment>  This is documented and WAD, but very very disruptive!

Yup, and not something I want to do.  There is documented a way around this,
where you can bring JES up cold in Z11 mode, that is to put in the OPTSDEF
JES2PARM COLD_START_MODE=Z11.  That allows compatibility to older JES releases
but doesn't fix the problem of needing a cold start.

The only migration action required going from 1.13 to 2.2 is to be a1 z11 mode
which we are.  Output from a $D ACTIVATE on my 1.13 system shows:

$HASP895 $DACTIVATE 751
$HASP895 JES2 CHECKPOINT MODE IS CURRENTLY Z11
$HASP895 THE CURRENT CHECKPOINT:
$HASP895  -- CONTAINS 18100 BERTS AND BERT UTILIZATION IS 2
$HASP895     PERCENT.
$HASP895  -- CONTAINS 1283 4K RECORDS.

Rex