From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:34 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: "task level" TIOT & XTIOT? A crazy thought?

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 07:27:12 -0600, John McKown wrote:

>So, have you ever wanted to run multiple, concurrent, executions of
>some program which does not accept an alternative DD name list? For
>instance, some in-house COBOL program. Wouldn't it be kind of nice to
>be able to specify some parameter, such as NEWTIOT=YES so that the
>program being attached would have its own, "private" TIOT & XTIOT,
>which would then propogate to any of its children TCBs which did not have a
>NEWTIOT=YES.
>Hum, it might even be nice to be able to list which DDs are to be
>"passed down", a bit like you can say whether or not to share a
>specific SUBPOOL with a subtask. That might be nice for something like
>SYSPRINT.

It has long been my perception that IBM has a penchant for providing valuable
facilities at implementation layers that limit their usefulness.
I consider the alternate DDNAME list an example.  Rather, it should be an
additional argment to ATTACH, implemented by code in ATTACH and OPEN, and quite
transparent to the child task.  And rather than positional it should have
apparent/real DDNAME pairs.