On 2017-01-10, at 17:46, David W Noon wrote:
> But we are really discussing COBOL ...

John M. started this thread using COBOL only as an example.
He clearly envisioned, even as in the Subject: a system layer
enhancement, not compiler, not application.

I echoed agreement.

Charles M. followed with FTP as an example.  FTP is probably not
written in COBOL but contains hard-coded DDNAMES.

If this is a COBOL thread it has been much hijacked.

>> It's dreadfully wasteful for each application program that needs the facility
>> to duplicate the code to process the alternate DDNAME list.
>
> What list? I am suggesting that any DDNAME that cannot be specified at
> design time be made parametric. That is all that COBOL needs to handle
> dynamic DDNAMEs.

And other langaages?  A vast number of applications have hard-coded
DDNAMES.  Implementing the parameterization in the system layer
would spare making code changes in each.

There's some irony here.  It appears to me that DDNAMEs were invented
as a form of parameterization: they spare application programs the
need to be aware of DSN, VOL, UNIT, SPACE, etc.  As such, DDNAMEs
work splendidly in a uniprocessing context and fail miserably in a
multiprocessing context.  Consider Charles's FTP example.

-- gil