I haven't heard of SAME for years, my bet is it was integrated.  And why
would update have any effect on read-ahead?  QSAM fills all the buffers it
gets, and keeps them full.  It can and does keep track of where you are vs.
where it is quite easily.

Anyway, if you have to ask whether to use QSAM or BSAM, the answer is
always QSAM.  Getting better performance with BSAM requires both unusual
requirements, and considerable knowledge and skill; not to mention more
time, effort, complexity.

sas

--
sas