From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Monday, February 6, 2017 1:55 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: BSAM vs QSAM (and SORT).

On 2017-02-06, at 07:22, R.S. wrote:

> It's worth to mention that performance of reverse processing dataset on real
> tape is worse than horrible.
> And IMHO it's not argument for using virtual tapes but for not using datasets
> on tape for applications. Tapes are for backup and ML2.

I had understood that old-fashioned SORT with SORTWK on tape employed read
backwards very effectively.  Perhaps the SORT expert will jump in:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillating_merge_sort

It was spectacular to watch.  Are the data un-reversed by hardware, firmware,
or software?

On 2017-02-06, at 10:24, Binyamin Dissen wrote:

> Also, reading a PDS member by member requires BPAM (which is really BSAM).

Which was our motivation, when I was in a small group supporting a FOSS
compiler and runtime library, for implementing BPAM and BSAM but not QSAM.
Once we had the BPAM interface, most of the interface could likewise be used
for BSAM.

Ironically, not burdened by the extreme storage constraints of OS/360, our
compiler eschewed most of BPAM.  At a COPY-type operation we simply opened
another DCB, processed the member to the end, then popped back to the parent
member; no NOTE or POINT involved.  Worked great on MVS; not at all on CMS "OS
Emulation".

-- gil

________________________________

ATTENTION: -----

The information contained in this message (including any files transmitted with
this message) may contain proprietary, trade secret or other confidential
and/or legally privileged information. Any pricing information contained in
this message or in any files transmitted with this message is always
confidential and cannot be shared with any third parties without prior written
approval from Syncsort. This message is intended to be read only by the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that
any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message, in any form, is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and/or Syncsort and destroy all copies of this
message in your possession, custody or control.