Also, reading a PDS member by member requires BPAM (which is really BSAM).

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 07:59:24 -0600 Ron Burr <rb...@gtsoftware.com> wrote:

:>As far as I know, reading a physical sequential (or partitioned dataset
member) in reverse order can only be done using BSAM (via the BSP macro). Not
that many applications require that mode of processing. But if one does, well
then, that appears to be the only option. Mind you, there are some restrictions
inherent in using BSP, as the manual explains.
:>The COBOL manual states that you can process a QSAM tape dataset in reverse
order by doing an OPEN REVERSED, but I suspect that the dataset will actually
be processed using BSAM, not QSAM.

http://www.dissensoftware.com