>My €0.02:
>There are (were) both: hardware and OS software.
>
>Software: IBM OS/390, Fujitsu MSP, Hitachi VOS and AFAIK Siemens (don't
>remeber the name)
>The clones were very similar, but not the same.
>
>Hardware: you could run IBM OS/390 on Hitachi or Amdahl machine, it was
>both feasible, and legal (allowed by IBM).
>(in the older days the number of HW clones was higher: ITEL, Olivetti,
>Comparex, etc.)
>
>--
>Radoslaw Skorupka
>Lodz, Poland

I believe Siemens at one time sold a system derived from the RCA Spectra.

I encountered the RCA Spectra in the guise of an ICL (English Electric) System
4. I wrote assembly code for that which from my point of view was identical to
S/360 assembly.

The operating system, about which I knew very little (and now recall even
less), must have been quite different because the machines had several
interrupt states each with its own set of GP registers. No chance of running an
IBM operating system on one of those.