On 3/13/2017 6:00 AM, Barbara Nitz wrote:
According to the books, IEF743I means "System action: The job and address space
end." Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case. There is no indication that I
can find in hardcopy log that the address space (Initiator) got restarted, and the dump
that I took 17 minutes later shows the address space still up with ASCBEWST (address
space last lost control) about 1s after $HASP310 INIT     TERMINATED AT END OF MEMORY. I
do see the initiator restarted 25 minutes after.

Barbara,
FORCE processing does not know or care what an address space is running, beyond the requirement that if an address space is allowed to be cancelled (CSCB field CHCL is on), then a CANCEL must be attempted before a FORCE will be accepted for it.

A FORCE command becomes a CALLRTM TYPE=MEMTERM request which will drive address space level resource manager routines in the *MASTER* address space for the memterm'd address space. Ideally a resource manager routine should never need, or at least wait for, serialization of a resource during its processing. But the ideal is rarely the reality, and resource manager routines can, and often do, get delayed or deadlocked.

RTM *does* monitor resource manager routine execution (Paul and I added this support many years ago), expecting the task it is running under to have executed something across an interval of time. If two intervals pass without any execution occurring then RTM will ABTERM the task with an ABEND 30D ( https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ieaa800/resmgr.htm ).

It sounds like an address space level resource manager routine became hung, possibly due to the same latching issue you issued the FORCE for. I suggest you check in LOGREC for any ABEND 30D records during the interval to see if a hung resource manager routine was detected by RTM, and go from there.

Regards,
Greg