On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 20:44:36 +0000, Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
wrote:

>Back when multiple SMPPTS% became available, SMPE/E would try to compress
> every PTS% that got x37. Every time. The only thing wrong with that is the
> churn
>in I/O and CPU plus SYSPRINT lines trying futilely on every RECEIVE to
>compress
>a full PDS. The SMP/E OPTIONS entry allows for list of exceptions for RECOVERY,
> but I don't have any DDDEFs listed there.

I've always listed SMPPTS-SMPPTSn in "exclude from retry" for the global
zone options so that doesn't happen.  Actually I always put a bunch in when
I start to customize a new OS (see below) just in case I ever use that many.
There really is no point in compress because the only time there will be
any benefit is after I do an accept or reject in purge mode that deletes
SMPPTS members.   After I do accept runs (usually just before a quarterly
RSU - 3 quarters or 1 year behind apply level) I do the compress and
SMP/E CLEANUP command.

Kirt - if you are still listening:  Why oh why has "CLEANUP COMPRESS(ALL)" never
been enhanced to include the SMPPTS or made an additional option?

===== my exclude list ======================

Enter the DDNAMES that are excluded from RETRY
processing.  When the list is complete, enter END.
To end this request and return to the prior panel,
enter CANCEL.

     DDNAME

''''  SMPPTS__
''''  SMPPTS1_