On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 15:19:31 -0500, Dave Anderson wrote:

>What is IBM's strategy for migrating code execution to be above the bar? Has
>IBM released any documents detailing the next steps, or is this confidential?

It has been discussed here for a while.  You could disable interrupts, branch to
code above the bar, and branch back later.  (I suppose the Old PSW was
unconditionally scrunched.)  More recently, interrupts above the bar are
tolerated, but no system services can be called from above the bar.

>Currently data areas above the bar are widely used but program execution above
>the bar is not currently supported. Other posts have suggested that Cobol will
>soon support 64 bit execution but not only for modules loaded  below the bar
>and that 64 bit Cobol is unlikely to be widely used as it is not compatible
>with 31 bit Cobol and has performance issues.

Performance issues have been mentioned here.  Are those because of:
o I-fetch bandwidth?
o Address calculation/translation overhead?
o Computation overhead?
o Some combination?

I'd guess that instructions with 64-bit operands are slower than instructions
with shorter operands, even in AMODE 24/31.

Is AMODE 31 slower than AMODE 24?  (Or even the opposite?)

>Does anybody know if IBM plans to run system modules above the bar? I would be
>interested in hearing any comments/insights on this topic?

Not I.  How close is LPA to encountering a Virtual Address Storage Constraint?

-- gil