It's called z/OS is not the only thing that runs on a 64-bit machine.  I
haven't looked into all the particulars, but I have heard someplace that 'C'
can run in 64-bit under z/LINUX.

I think this is more a case of not wanting to have to re-write half of the
operating system and have dual API's for everything when it isn't needed.  At
least not yet.

Because they have done some work in that direction, it seems to me they are
taking small deliberate steps to get there.

I know nothing as fact, just a lot of looking at the tea leaves.

Chris Blaicher
Technical Architect
Mainframe Development
Syncsort Incorporated
2 Blue Hill Plaza #1563, Pearl River, NY 10965

P: 201-930-8234  |  M: 512-627-3803
E: cblaic...@syncsort.com

www.syncsort.com

CONNECTING BIG IRON TO BIG DATA