On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 18:10:35 -0400, Charles Mills wrote:

>The fact that the hardware guys and gals made the hardware capable of
>execution above the bar means IBM is giving this some thought. (The thought
>may be "Heck, no!" <g>)

It would have been a bizarre decision to limit the hardware to only run code
located below 2 GB. However, z/OS has a long history and many control blocks
contain 31-bit addresses. Some still have 24-bit addresses.

For example, there are many places where a 64-bit PSW is stored. The CDE/EXLST
has the entry point and load point as a 31-bit address.

In order to support execution above the bar, these have to be changed. My view
is that these are being addressed gradually, and I suspect that eventually,
z/OS will allow full support for RMODE 64 programs.

--
Tom Marchant