Minoru Massaki,

It is quite simple to set a return code using COUNT operator. Here are a
couple of ways setting the RC=4 . You can also set RC8 and RC12 too.

//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=ICETOOL
//TOOLMSG  DD SYSOUT=*
//DFSMSG   DD SYSOUT=*
//IN       DD *
//TOOLIN   DD *
  COUNT FROM(IN) NOTEMPTY RC4
//*

or

//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=ICETOOL
//TOOLMSG  DD SYSOUT=*
//DFSMSG   DD SYSOUT=*
//IN       DD *
//TOOLIN   DD *
  COUNT FROM(IN) HIGHER(0) RC4
//*

Check this link which explains in about COUNT operator and check out the
examples too.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.icea100/ice2ca_COUNT_operator.htm

>>I would say, no, you cannot have DFSORT do something like this.  I am
not seeing anything the DFSORT manuals from IBM to allow the user to force
DFSORT to set codes other than it is already doing.

Lizette,

Sorry to say that you are wrong. DFSORT does have the capability. we can
handle different scenarios. EMPTY/NOTEMPTY and "n" number of records too

>>Pretty trivial to write Rexx to set a return code based on file
empty/Not empty.

DFSORT already handles these scenarios.

Thanks,
Kolusu