On 4/26/2017 7:22 PM, Tony Harminc wrote:

While we're on this... I discourage people here from documenting things
like "specify the name of a zFS file". Who knows how long zFS will be
around? HFS seems to be effectively dead. Maybe in a couple of years a
great new QFS or something will be the UNIX file system du jour on z/OS.
One of our product's docs were full of "HFS" references from ten years ago,
but had nothing to do with defining a new HFS or the like; they just meant
UNIX file, as opposed to MVS dataset...

If only we in SMP/E had that kind of foresight (what, 20+ years ago?) we would not have used "HFS" as an element type. Of course this goes beyond documentation, so I suspect we'll be stuck with ++HFS for the foreseeable future.

Kurt Quackenbush -- IBM, SMP/E Development