> Just FYI, I'm following these threads and absorbing it all.

Great to read that! Hope you're in the position to decide or influence the
decision makers that PDFs are needed despite other means such as KC.

>To the direct point, it seems like the Adobe Indexed set of element and
feature PDFs (SC27-8430) that Kevin Minerley mentioned in his response
should suffice, and perhaps even impress, for those of you wanting a
single downloadable of all z/OS PDFs.

No really. One reason being that PDFs are supported by many tools on many
platforms, but the index support is not wide spread (is it supported by any
tool except the Adobe Reader?).

A second more practical reason is the fact that today, at least at banks,
insurance companies and probably many more, all incoming traffic is suspicious.
So suspicious that AntiVirus, AntiSpam, AntiAnything software is scanning
everything. I've been unable to download larger files many times just because
the scanning software gave up after some time, cannot cope with too large
files, and whatever reason.

1GiB downloads to my office workstation are not possible.

>Also, truly consider giving KC4z, which Kevin also mentioned, a try.

This may be one option, but again, it is not an offline option, so again not a
replacement for the PDF. I know I'm repeating myself here, but I once learned
that you need to tell important stuff to your children 3000 times before they
understand it is important stuff ;-)

>To an indirect point, it's great to see the different statements in
support of PDFs and even the one for KC. I know how much (most of) you
miss the old product documentation tools, so this feedback is extremely
valuable as we work hard to develop a set of solutions that will
hopefully help you eventually forget them.

I for one have forgotten about the old tools, such as IBM Library Reader, which
was supported on Windows only, anyway. I have switched to the PDF format to be
my most important format. I have tons of PDFs on my iPad and am finding my
stuff easily with the Documents 5 app. I also have the most important PDFs on
my office PC. And I'm using Google and KC a lot to find what I'm looking for.
As soon as I see I'll have to read more than very few pages, I'm opening or
downloading the PDF (which hopefully is available somewhere).

I did  mention that anything coming from the Internet is suspicious, and you
would not believe how slow all that scanning can make KC. It's a pain.

>The best thing that you can do is (continue to) voice your feedback where it
>really counts, like at
SHARE and in feedback sessions with IBMers.

Unfortunately, I cannot attend either of the above. I would hope that other
people on this list who would be able to start a SHARE requirement, might do
this one day.

--
Peter Hunkeler