On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:32:50 -0400, Steve Thompson wrote:
>Example: iea2b6a0.pdf might become iea2b6a0_JCL_REF.pdf
>Now, on a Linux system I can create a link to that particular
>manual so that it becomes JCL_REF.pdf, but this takes a while to
>do for each manual that I'm interested in. But that's me, how
>many are you interested in?
>
>And if one is a Windows user, can one easily do a link?

(more)
You might use way long names incorporating Order number, OS release,
Shelf name, ..., and rely on file manager's filtering by name.

On Linux, I see:
    -bash 3+ man zip
    ZIP(1)
       --symlinks
              For UNIX and VMS (V8.3 and later), store symbolic links as such
in  the
              zip archive, instead of compressing and storing the file referred
to by
              the link.  This can avoid multiple copies of files  being
included  in
              the  archive  as  zip  recurses  the directory trees and accesses
files
              directly and by links.

... I have no idea what happens if a filesystem so stored is unzipped on a
system
not supporting symlinks.  Will it use Windows' "mklink"?  Shortcuts?

-- gil